Monday, January 19, 2009

pottery's legend finds elegance

in the pics: it was HIGH season...lots of people wherever we went..many camper vans; first time I saw a "cattle stop" sign. we didn't get stopped by cattle, but by little white fluffy creatures (yeah..sheep); another picture of the beach

1/7
At mook Lake we met a man who creates pottery. He lives in Invercargill. So when we got there, we gave him a call to ask if we could park our camper van at his house. he was very cool. He uses three different kinds of clay for his pots, digs his own clay, or gets friends to deliver to him. He puts cumin seeds in his bread (very yummy). He said Europe is warming up and the malaria mosquito is getting to be a danger. He also makes rum pot with fruit in it…all I need now is a pot to make my own rum pot. I highly recommend it.
Well, there is a number 4 VERY IMPORTANT thing: get and use your bug “goop.” The sandflies will find you, craw up your skin and suck your yummy blood. You will not see them, but they will see you. Have I motivated you yet. Mike had many challenges with sandflies. I was wearing my long tights (because it was COLD) most of the time, so they didn’t bother me as much.

Today we zoomed to different tourist sites: the Bluff (supposedly) the southern most part of the main south island. Someone told me later it is not the most southerly point. I did have yummy fish and chips though. We drove to the petrified forest. Mike really liked the seaweed. The Cathedral Caves were a little disappointing. Just one cave with not much but rocks in it.




Here is a poem in Maori I copied from a sign at the Bluff:
Ko te taurapa o te waka te mauka.
Ko te ara a Kew ate moana.
Ka Moutere Titi te taoka.
Ko Kai Tahu te takata Whenua.
Tihe Mauri ora.
--Harawini Atawera

The sternpost of the canoe is the mountain
The pathway of Kewa is the sea.
The Titi Islands are the treasure.
The people are Kai Tahu.
I sneeze. I am alive.
Maori Legend



1/8
I didn’t escape from reading newspapers and things…I read an article about Obama in the Christchurch Press. Tuesday dec 30. “because of the reality of Obama…” I hope there are many changes because of the reality of Obama. There was another article about a town with a tourist attraction. “the minute you call something paradise, you can kiss it goodbye.” I saw that at some of the places we visited. Too many people is dangerous for paradise. And Israeli planes pounded into the Gaza strip for the third consecutive day…I find myself on the opposite of the end of the spectrum.
NZ reader’s Digest…context defines experience…dogs’ sense of smell known to smell cancers…good luck rarely commands attention like bad luck…sharing money is what gives it its value.(elvis)

“elegance is an attitude”
Small groups with very focused people (is better)
Every time you say the name you reinforce the brand. (from a Wired article about Microsoft)
“a way of working together” –rare connection
Lead (passion/ideas) people rather than manage (threats/ bureaucracy) them
“tribe of employees” connected to a common idea
If you have something to offer—if you have a story that gels with people and you can capitalize on the exposure, you’ll stick around.






No comments:

Post a Comment